Drain Bamage

So, the valentine season has come and gone.  And, I've still got a bunch of Steampunk Valentines on the shelf.  Happily, they sell year 'round.  You know, I haven't introduced a new MechaniCard design since the Anti Antikythera, in November of 2015.  I'm sort of floundering in a difficult mind space, these days.  But, I have developed a number of projects that were decidedly and ultimately unfit for market.  It's really hard to make art, with a mind towards producing and selling dozens or hundreds of copies.  The temptation is to be satisfied with just making one thing.

Here are some projects I've been working on, but that you won't see for sale... not in the near future, well, not exactly in these forms.

Here is an instructional model, showing how the steam valve mechanism works, as found on a steam locomotive; specifically Walscherts' gear.  This mechanism is found on the vast majority of locos, after about 1880.

  Video

When completed, it'll have graphics applied to the background plate, showing familiar context.  Made mostly of wood, my intent has been to offer this piece as a model kit.  However the detailed and fussy nature of the steam chest components has frustrated my desire to make them relatively easy to produce.  I might try casting them, or 3D printing.

This next thing is a crypto-mechanical puzzle prototype.  I've wanted to produce a series of unique puzzles that one solves by manipulating mechanical features, combined with cryptographic challenges.  This one has five ciphers to dope out, including hidden and encrypted messages, secret compartments, a combination lock, and a slide projector.  

 Mechanical Cipher Puzzle

After putting together the prototype, and considering the thoroughly arcane clues the solution is based on, and the fact that I haven't figured out what should be the reward for solving it, I realized that I really went too far over the edge.  It'd be like the guy who hid a fabulous treasure, out in wilderness, somewhere on the planet, the only clue an quirky page of verse.

I will return to this idea.  I have another piece coming together in virtual space, that is entirely mechanical, and will also be a devil of a challenge.  But, there won't be any arcane messages to decipher; just mechanical intuition and a little imagination.

 Puzzle Design in the works

Meanwhile, I've decided to recast some of the MechaniCards as kinetic wall art.  Shown is a motorized Mandala, measuring about 18" x 14" x 4" deep.  I plan to make a series of these in the 10" x 8" size, including; the Mandala, Ambigulator, Radial Engine, Anti Antikythera, and maybe the Strum-U-Lator.  The other MechaniCards are designed to operate while sitting flat on a table.

 Large Motorized Madala

The large Mandala, and two of my other pieces are part of an exhibit at the Morris Museum, in Morristown, New Jersey, from March 16th - June 20th. The show is called "A Cache of Kinetic Art: Curious Characters."  The show coincides with the 2018 AutomataCon conference, also hosted at the museum, and which promises to be a lot of fun.  In its second year, there will be numerous automata on display, and as many artist/makers.

More to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MechaniCards Linked to Prehistoric Times

What the hell is that?